Are you a last minute sort of gal? You know, the type to hit the snooze and mumble, “just five more minutes” four or five times each morning. Or maybe, like me, you wake up and sit on the couch drinking coffee and watching the news until 10 minutes before you have to leave. Either way, you’re left with just enough time to brush your teeth and throw your hair in a ponytail before you have to run out the door. Since, no matter how hard I try, this is my morning routine every stinkin’ day, I have streamlined my beauty process to a few easy steps that take only minutes to complete.
There are two pieces to every morning beauty routine – hair and makeup. Let’s start with the hair:
Fast Morning Hair Style
For a quick, modern take on an old standby, try this version of a pony from Redkin stylist, Jenny Balding.
- Start with day old hair as this will be easier to manage and look better.
- Create a low side part on whichever side suits your face shape best. Mist hair with a light spray all over to smooth any flyaway strands and smooth down.
- Gather your hair at the nape and sweep into low ponytail and tie making sure to keep the top area really smooth and sleek. Take a small piece of hair from the under section of the ponytail and wrap around the base and pin. I love Cutler Flyaway Stick to use over the part and crown to create a sleek, beautiful sheen to the hair.
- Using a mini crimper, take small sections of the ponytail and crimp each section. Mist a light hairspray on each section to give a little hold.
- Brush hair through with boar bristle flat brush to create the perfect juxtaposition of the two textures – the sleek top and the textured, crimped tail.
The number one tip to a for a quick morning look is well-groomed brows. It’s such a small detail, but nothing makes you look more “put-togther.” To get the best brow look here are a few suggestions.
1. Shape brows. This is something I suggest you do ahead of time. You don’t want to be rushed here – nothing feels worse then realizing you have over plucked or mismatched your brows. The easiest way to ensure you get the best shape for your face is to visit a salon. Then you can easily maintain the look by plucking away any stray hairs that pop up. Use a product like the Tinted Brow Gel from Revitalash to keep hairs in place all day long.
2. Fuller brows are synonymous with youthfulness, so to fill in any sparse patches, use a an eyebrow pencil like Brow Power from it Cosmetics. This universal pencil adapts to all hair colors and creates a natural looking brow. Use softer strokes for lighter hair and more firm strokes for darker hair. Finish by brushing through brows with the included spooley brush for a completely natural look.
3. Once your brows are shaped and filled in (if necessary), use an illuminating pencil to open up and brighten eyes, plus add the illusion of more lifted brows. The Brow Power Lift from it Cosmetics has both matte and pearl options and is infused with hydrolyzed collagen and vitamins A,C and E.
Use this creamy pencil to trace along your brow bone and then blend with fingers. For added brightening, apply a small amount to the inner and outer corners of the eyes.
Now that your eyebrows are gorgeously groomed, add concealer (where needed), a little blush, mascara, and lip gloss and you’re ready to go!
What is your best beauty tip for those rushed mornings?
I received complimentary product to aid in the writing of this article.